Compassionate Care When You Need It Most
When someone you love nears the end of life, spending quality time together becomes paramount. Each person’s end-of-life transition is as unique as each individual, but the ultimate goal is to maximize comfort and peace – both for the person receiving care and for those who love them.
It is common for family members to feel helpless during a loved one’s terminal illness. However, there are a number of ways you can participate in easing this transitional time for the person you love, including:
- Allowing the person to talk about their illness, their fears, their concerns – anything they choose to discuss. Often, people want to skirt around the elephant in the room and keep conversations light and upbeat. The person may really need the chance to engage in deeper discussions instead, however. Let your loved one drive the tone of your conversations, providing a safe space for them to share whatever they choose.
- Being comfortable with silence. Sometimes, simply sitting with the person without feeling the need to fill all of the gaps with talking is best. Again, let the person with the terminal illness lead in this regard.
- Reminiscing and sharing memories. Look through photo albums together and relive fun experiences. Put into words how much the person means to you and how they have impacted your life. You can create new memories together too! Play music and sing along, read together, get outside for some fresh air and a change of scenery if possible and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature.
At Northwest Guided Home Care, we partner with families caring for a loved one with a terminal illness to lighten the load and allow them to focus on what matters most. Let us help with the practical aspects of care so that you can devote your time and energy to simply being there for the person you love.
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Planning and preparing meals
- Running errands
- Personal hygiene care
- Fall prevention
- Respite care to allow family members to take breaks from care
- And much more
We collaborate with hospice providers to ensure all the bases are covered for those nearing the end of life and the families who love them.
At Northwest Guided Home Care, a Bellevue home care services provider for the surrounding areas, we’re here to provide the customized support you need during a loved one’s end-of-life transition. Contact us any time at (800) 755-7102 to learn more about how we can help.